Sunday 7 October 2007

Men Playing With Their Balls


This might just be my favourite place in the world. Barcelona, Venice, New York - all wonderful places but "home is where the heart is" and a large part of mine is here (and has been for 25 years).

The ghosts of some of my best friends haunt this place : sometimes I can feel their presence.

I feel comfortable here and I belong here. It's old (about 120 years) , it's seedy (you wouldn't believe how some of the people who play here make a living!) and it's almost exclusively members and men only need apply.

It's where you can find me at 1:00 in the morning most Saturday nights talking utter bullshit and loving every minute of it.

And it's one of the last remaining parts of "real" Cardiff.

Finally a few of the guys I play ball with. If you think they're all older than me you're right (thank heavens). I always was the "enfant terrible" !

Another year passes ; I don't like the 21st century at all.

8 comments:

SteamyDreamer said...

Happy Birthday you youngun! I left you a chocolate taste at the cage.

Is that snooker? I noticed the balls don't have stripes like in our pool tables.....I play a mean strip pool.....

Crashdummie said...

Hey Congrats Merlin! Hope you had a wonderful day spending it with the lads!

Hugz!

EL PADRONE said...

Steamy,

Yep - that's a full size snooker table. 15 reds and 6 colours. It makes pool look simple.

Ruby,

Thank-you. They're hardly "lads". Two of them are grandfathers : one of them is the most dangerous man I've ever met! (He'd say the same thing about me).

M.

Tate said...

I envy you! Yet, what's with the boys only BS? I could totally hang there!

Seriously, it's nice to have a place where everyone knows your name and are glad you came.

EL PADRONE said...

Tate,

You'd be welcome I'm sure. Most women take one look and go away - but yeah...you'd fit in ok !

It's not quite "Cheers" though ; it's better than that.

M.

Tate said...

Then I could be the "infant terrible".

EL PADRONE said...

Tate,

You wouldn't have to be that "terrible".

They're all lovely guys really ( except when they're in prison).

M.

Tate said...

LOL, Merlin, I would still be the enfant, eh?